It’s a time of year when we can get a little stir crazy, maybe get on each other’s nerves ’cause we’ve all been cooped up in the same house together. But it’s also the month of love, and maybe all the hearts we’ll see in every store and all over Pintrest are enough to remind us that we love our families, even when we’ve all been cooped up together for too long.
Around the Web
4 (Good) Ways Your Hard Kid Is Changing You
Christine Gordon reminds us that challenges lead to growth.
- “When I have kids, I’ll never let them do that.”
Many parents have heard this line from a non-parent at some point. We smile politely and hold our tongues, knowing that the strain of raising human beings can’t be fully understood until you’re living it.
Classic Picture Books–Our Favorites
Carolyn Leiloglou takes a moment to look back at some classics.
- I usually review newer picture books, but sometimes it’s good to take a look back in time. Classic picture books have a lot to offer our fast-paced society with their simple, slower pace. They can remind us to slow down, take notice, embrace imagination.
What if All I Want is a Mediocre Life?
Krista O’Reilly Davi-Digui examines the value of the small life.
- What if all I want is a small, slow, simple life? What if I am most happy in the space of in between? Where calm lives. What if I am mediocre and choose to be at peace with that?
To My High-Spirited Daughter This Epiphany
Heather Walker Peterson writes a letter to her daughter.
- This isn’t the way the world’s supposed to be. You feel that. It’s Epiphany but you’re still saying “Maranatha” like it’s Advent. You want Jesus to come back and make things right. Make math as easy to perceive as your classmates do. Make your body able to control your emotions.
Around the Warren
The Well-Hidden Wisdom of Children
Our friend Randall Goodgame (who’s book Jesus and the Very Big Surprise is available now!) reminds us that wisdom often comes from unlikely places.
- Our family favorite ice cream stop is the Pied Piper Creamery. Tucked away in Berry Hill, one of Nashville’s quirky business districts, the PPC expanded on the original version that has blessed East Nashville for years. With flavors like Baklava, Pancakes, Halepeño, Little Debbie Does Dallas or Red Velvet Elvis, we always taste 4 or 5 before deciding what to order.
Books for Boys – A Show and Tell
This book list is awesome. Julie Silander wrote it up a few years ago and we share it regularly because it’s a great one.
- Finding a great book is like discovering gold, yet acquiring such a treasure rarely happens by accident. Often, we must be wiling to explore unchartered territory. We need a plan. To understand the “why” behind the plan, take a few minutes to visit Books for Boys: Why it Matters. Godspeed as you embark on your adventure!
Something to Do with Your Kids
It’s February. There are lots of fun things to do in February (one of them is to argue over its pronunciation), but if you need some suggestions, here are some.
Something to Watch
You may have seen videos like this one before: someone seeing color for the first time. But this one’s lovely and delightful. It’s always wondrous to watch a miracle happen.
Thanks for reading. We’re on your side.
-The Story Warren Team