The Warren & the World is Story Warren’s weekly newsletter, providing a round-up of our favorite things from around the web as well as a review of what was on our site over the past week. We’re glad you’re here!
Around the Web
Tom Hanks Themed Dinner Party
Tom Hanks was in the news recently as they announced he’ll be playing Mr. Rogers in an upcoming movie. Whether you’re a long-time Mr. Rogers fan or a long-time Tom Hanks fan (which probably covers most of us), this seems like a good idea. While you’re waiting for that adventure, Rachel Schmoyer shares ideas for a Tom Hanks themed dinner party.
- Instead of going out for Valentine’s Day, my husband and I like to create a fun meal at home. Last year we created a Hamilton themed dinner.
This year we decided to create a Tom Hanks themed dinner. For the past two years or so we have been watching Tom Hank’s movies in chronological order. It’s been a fun ride!
- Last year, Neil Gaiman published his long-awaited work, Norse Mythology, a collection of the ancient stories of the Nordic gods. This is not a translation, but a retelling. As Eugene Peterson’s The Message is to the Bible, Gaiman’s Norse Mythology is to Norse mythology. The book was widely anticipated not so much because it collects mythic tales as because of the author himself. For many of his readers, Gaiman awakened an interest in the old gods in the first place. And for Gaiman himself, something of this longing for Valhalla started in the wardrobe of a spare room.
At first glance, Gaiman would seem to be of little interest to those Christians who are unfamiliar with his work.
Scott Hamilton Was Demoted as an Olympic Broadcaster. Don’t Feel Sorry for Him.
- For about a quarter of a century, you couldn’t watch Olympic figure skating without seeing Scott Hamilton.
There he was in the broadcast booth, his happy face and giddy voice connected to so many memorable moments. When a skater hit a big jump or won a gold medal, your TV would just about shake because of his excitement.
But not this time. Not with the rise of Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir, a pair of sequined Olympians-turned-pop-culture-idols. They are NBC’s primary figure skating analysts at the Pyeongchang Games. Hamilton has been relegated to a show called “Olympic Ice” on the secondary NBC Sports Network, where he teams up with Tanith White, an Olympic silver medalist in ice dancing, and the sportscaster Liam McHugh.
Hamilton, 59, knew this change was coming.
25 Best STEM (STEAM) Chapter Books for Kids
If you’ve got someone interested in science, technology, engineering, art, or math, some of these chapter books might be up your alley.
- I’m so excited to see more STEM and STEAM chapter books (science, technology, engineering, art, and math). The stories on today’s list make STEM enticing to readers. If it isn’t already, that is.
Whether or not your kids are even interested in STEM, see what develops after reading one of the book on this list. Maybe an interest will grow?
Around the Warren
The Wise Woman
Julie Silander reflects on how sometimes, we can learn more from a fairy tale than from a stack of parenting books.
- It was a warm April afternoon – the kind of day that woos buds from the earth and birds back home from their sunny southern holiday. A friend, who had recently moved several states away, was in town for a visit. She planted herself in the wicker chair on my back porch. Within minutes of arriving, she shared the details from her latest adventures and offered a taste of what had been churning in her heart. I drank in her words, the clean air, and a hot cup of mint tea. A light breeze kissed the moment. Souls connected. We both found rest.
Message in a Bottle
Laura Peterson recommends Uncorker of Ocean Bottles.
- The Uncorker of Ocean Bottles has a job of the utmost importance. It is his task to open any bottle found at sea and make sure that the message is delivered.
This description from the flap of today’s featured picture book, The Uncorker of Ocean Bottles, written by Michelle Cuevas and illustrated by Erin Stead, filled me with delight when I read it. What an exciting task!, I thought. Rescuing hopes and dreams from bottles and doing whatever possible to make them come true! The Uncorker of Ocean Bottles lives in a house by the sea, very like that of one of my favorite literary characters, Miss Rumphius.
Sunny and Eve – Part Three
- My dear Sunny, Will’s letter began.
I haven’t written in a while. This occupation makes me feel unfit to write to you, though I think of you constantly.
Something to Do with Your Kids
If your little engineer or scientist is looking for some fun experiments to do, there are some great ones in this video!
And Something to Watch
Thank you for reading. We’re on your side.