The Warren & the World is Story Warren’s weekly newsletter, providing a round-up of our favorite things from around the web as well as a review of what was on our site over the past week. We’re glad you’re here!
Around the Web
The Global Mom Show Podcast: Talking to Your Kids About Race with Lucretia Berry
I heard Dr. Lucretia Berry speak this week about her ministry, Brownicity: The Art and Beauty of Living and Loving Beyond Race. One thing that struck me particularly was her focus on teaching families how to talk about race with their kids. Brownicity has many great resources on their website and Facebook page, but here’s a podcast that can serve as a good introduction.
- For our family, it seems ridiculous to pretend that we don’t see differences in our skin tone. In fact, we celebrate the diversity of our beautiful hues that make up the tapestry of our and the ‘hue-man’ family. Also, it seems odd that we would not talk about race with our young children, considering that we live in a society obsessed with ‘racial’ distinctions–even to the extent of pretending not to see them.
Want to Raise Successful Kids? Neuroscience Says Read to Them Like This (but Most Parents Don’t)
- If you’re like most parents, you’ll do just about anything you can to increase the odds that your kids will be successful.
So, what if I were to tell you there’s a simple thing you can to do to make it more likely that they’ll be successful in life — specifically by increasing the likelihood that they’ll learn to read other people, and even predict how they’ll react?
How to Choose Early Chapter Books
- Yesterday I started my new book list series, Early Chapter Books. This is an ongoing series to help parents fill the bookshelves of kids who have moved beyond easy readers but are not yet ready for middle grade chapter books. In many libraries, these books are labeled as “bridge” books, but there are also some wonderful choices which may be mixed in with general books
Katharina Luther’s 500 Year Old To-Do List
Rachel Schmoyer has a to-do list built from the life of Katharina Luther.
- Katharina Von Bora had no clue she would end up as one of the most famous pastor’s wives in history.
Michelle DeRusha recently wrote an insightful book called Katharina and Martin Luther: The Radical Marriage of a Runaway Nun and a Renegade Monk. Mrs. DeRusha did a fantastic job piecing together a portrait of Katharina as a person despite there being very little information about her life.
Around the Warren
This World Is Larger Than Life
Chrissy Williams explores this great big world.
- She may be seven, but my girl soaks up the truth in a room without even realizing it and only reveals her observations after dark or in private conversations with her brother.
“Some people think that God is just a tall tale.” The two of them, miss brown-eyed beauty and little take-over-the-world, were hunched over putting their shoes on by the front door. And I was wishing I had heard what precipitated this wise saying. I entered the conversation at this point and tried to sound learned, “Yes, that’s true. Some people do think that.”
Do You Know Rumer Godden?
Liz Cottrill is here to introduce us to Rumer Godden and her books.
- The search for excellent books is a lifelong hobby. More books are being published today than ever before, but discovering the gems is nearly as tricky as, well, finding gems is.
One tip I find useful is to collect good authors. When we find a great book, the next thing we crave is something else by that same great writer. I have also found it easier to search through stacks of books at libraries, stores, or used book sales when I have a roster of favorite authors to search for than to wonder at titles or judge books by their covers. I have a book of lists of authors I know and love and am always on the prowl for just one more by any of them.
Something to Do with Your Kids
Today is St. Patrick’s Day–it’s a great chance to learn more about the patron saint of Ireland, and also a great time to have fun with your kids and there are lots of activities here!
And Something to Watch
Disney is coming out with a new Duck Tales cartoon and the cast sang the classic theme song–and it’s pretty great.
Thank you for reading. We’re on your side.
The Warren & The World Vol 11, Issue 10 - March 25, 2023
- The Warren & The World Vol 11, Issue 9 - March 18, 2023
- The Warren & The World Vol 11, Issue 8 - March 11, 2023
Leave a Reply