It’s the season in which we get to look at our own hearts and recognize our need for a savior. Light a candle and shine in the dark world this week. The true light is coming to save us.
Around the Web
2023 Newbery Winner: Freewater by Amina Luqman-Dawson
Janie at Redeemed Reader introduces a Newbery book.
- Freewater, this year’s Newbery Medal winner, is as much an adventure tale as little-known history.
Light a Flame of Grace Today
Kristen Welch shares the story of a ministry that serves trafficked teens.
- On a cool Friday in October a few years ago, Ann Voskamp and I knocked on a door together in Houston, Texas.
I was going to introduce her to a Muslim family from Syria who had changed my life.
Ann writes of our day, “I once walked up to the door of a grandfather refugee from Syria, who now lives under a roof in Houston, and he flung open the door of his narrow townhouse, then flung his arms wide open and bellowed, “A million, million welcomes!” I smile shy. A part of my heart falls in love with him.
A year following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, this book list gives us stories to help understand the place that we hear about in the news.
- A year after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, here is an updated booklist from Hayley’s 2014 series of posts about Ukraine.
In 2014, as Russia invaded the Crimean peninsula, Redeemed Reader provided a series of posts to help readers understand Ukraine and the conflict occurring in Europe. Some of the titles were Ukrainian-specific while others helped shed light on eastern Europe, Slavic culture, and the forces and history motivating Russia. As war continues in Ukraine, this booklist remains helpful. Today we’ll start with the fiction side.
On Homeschooling with Babies and Toddlers
If you’re on a homeschooling journey as a family, particularly if you’ve got little ones not yet in school, Sarah Mackenzie shares a word of encouragement and advice.
- Sometimes it’s hard for me to believe that not so long ago, I had three babies age one and under.
I mean, that just sounds insane, doesn’t it? We also had three older children whom I was homeschooling. Or… attempting to homeschool, at any rate.
Let me tell you what happens when you add three little babies to an already busy homeschooling household: chaos.
Chaos is what happens.
Around the Warren
The Wisdom of a Pure Heart: A Short Biography of Ezra Jack Keats
Kelly Keller dives into the work of renown illustrator Ezra Jack Keats.
- In 1940, a young illustrator saw a series of photographs in Life magazine from Liberty County, Georgia. The photographer captured the day a state health officer visited a school to test the students for malaria. The little boy pictured looks hesitant, holds his hands out, and eventually cries from the pain of the blood test.
Something to Do with Your Kids
Want to explore words with your little ones learning to read? Try these spring mapping mats!
Something to Watch
Have you ever wondered how Staten Island became part of New York? The story is more complicated than you might think.
Thanks for reading. We’re on your side.
–The Story Warren Team