A friend recently said that 2020 felt five years long and 2021 has felt like five weeks. I couldn’t agree more—as we look down the barrel of the final weeks of the year, may you enter the season with peace and work to slow your pace to one that savors and enjoys the moments.
Around the Web
What the Gospel Says About Your Child’s Learning Differences
Laura Booz explores what made in God’s image means to the child who learns differently than others.
- My daughter’s Sunday School teacher asked her to read aloud in class. She looked at the tiny font in her Bible and said, “I can’t read.”
He said, “Of course you can read.”
She said, “No. I really cannot read.”
He moved on to the next little girl who read—according to my daughter—“so beautifully, even though the words were small!”
2021 Advent Kit Is Here!
Our friend Sally Lloyd-Jones develops an Advent Kit each year that goes hand in hand with her Jesus Storybook Bible. Advent begins on November 28, and Sally’s kit is ready!
- We’re thrilled to share with you the all-new Jesus Storybook Bible Advent Kit.
Turning the Dials at Thanksgiving
Holly Mackle writes at enCourage about the complexities of holidays.
- It’s Thanksgiving and I’m in the kitchen turning dials, trying so hard to get everything just right. If only I spoke of solely the oven dial—but who can forget the relational dials, the conversational dials, the quick repentance dials, and even the simple act of dialing the number just to extend the invitation. At the holidays it seems there are far too many complex layered dials to turn and crank and adjust just so. It can be downright exhausting.
Bookish Gifts for Kids, Tweens, and Teens
Carolyn Leiloglou has great suggestions for bookish gifts for your kids of all ages.
- Here’s a round-up of bookish gifts for every bookworm kid, tween, and teen on your list this year. (And maybe a few for the adults as well.) If you’re reading this in 2021, we’ve all heard supply chain and shipping may be issues this year, so make sure you shop early.
Around the Warren
Six Mute Swans: digital picture book & audiobook stream
Isabel Chenot introduces a retelling of a classic Grimm fairy tale.
- If you like this fairy re-telling, you can also pre-order Isabel’s picture book, West of Moonlight, East of Dawn.
The Beatryce Prophecy by Kate DiCamillo
Christine Norvell reviews Kate DiCamillo’s new book.
- The world is not always a kind place, said Brother Edik.
We may lose those we love along the way, but unexpected friends, like a goat, can bring delight and comfort.
Yes, a goat. In Kate DiCamillo’s The Beatryce Prophecy, the monks of the Order of the Chronicles of Sorrowings are harassed by an ornery goat, one that soon finds a different purpose in comforting a lost girl.
Something to Do with Your Kids
Forget tracing your hand and making a turkey—here’s a footprint turkey craft!
Something to Watch
It’s rare that a YouTube video that describes itself as “epic” in its own title lives up to the hype, but this glorious version of “Oh, the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus” is, well, pretty epic.
Thanks for reading. We’re on your side.
–The Story Warren Team