The Warren & the World is Story Warren’s weekly newsletter, providing a round-up of our favorite things from around the web as well as a review of what was on our site over the past week. We’re glad you’re here!
Around the Web
A Year in the Big Old Garden
James D. Witmer released his book of short stories on Kindle this week. A Year in the Big Old Garden is a collection of children’s stories in the spirit of beloved classics by Thornton Burgess and Beatrix Potter. These twelve short stories are crafted to be read aloud, mixing whimsical storytelling with the love and knowledge of backyard wildlife. Turn waiting rooms, car trips, and bedtimes into moments of enjoyment as you meet animals like Sammy the squirrel, Jasper the chipmunk, and Smudge the rabbit, and follow their adventures through the seasons.
10 Ways Moms Can Bond With Middle School Daughters
MIddle school can be a hard season, and one of the greatest tools available to any kid in the season is a good relationship with his or her parents. Moms, if you’ve got daughters of middle school age, here are some ideas for connecting.
- Middle school can be an exciting time for a girl. New friends, new school, new body, new crushes. Your baby is growing up — and that’s a good thing! But it’s not always smooth or easy. As she straddles childhood and teenage years, it’s hard for Mom to know where she fits in or what her new role is in parenting. As you navigate this new emotional territory, it’s important to give your daughter some leeway. Allow her to grow — and even make mistakes.
Writing Journals for Children that Teach Self-Awareness and Creativity
- This list of Writing Journals for Children is a bit different than my typical book lists for kids. Writing in journals does not just provide handwriting practice. Journaling, whether daily, weekly or even just every once in a while, gives kids a sense of accomplishment. Kids develop a great sense of self-awareness and are able to give voice to their emotions and experiences in a safe, non-judgmental space.
Like a Tree
Monica Brands writes a short devotional that focuses us on our growth in Christ.
- I love the powerful song “We Shall Not Be Moved.” The song captures a unique vision of true peace. Like a firmly planted tree, being deeply rooted in God gives us the courage to stand firm for His justice—even when we’re surrounded by powerful forces of corruption.
Resources for Teaching with Children’s Books
- I share loads of children’s books here at What Do We Do All Day? and while you can read my tips for reading wordless books, or choosing chapter books I haven’t shared much about how to teach with children’s books. This is because I am not a trained teacher, I don’t homeschool and in our house we primarily read books, rather than do activities around them.
Around the Warren
Carrying the Story
Glenn McCarty reminds us of our reality in the Story
- Every year in December, our church presents a unique event called the Live Nativity Hayride for two evenings a couple of weeks before Christmas. Bundled up against the frigid temperatures, guests board a hay wagon and begin a 20-minute ride through seven scenes, as audio narration and live actors tell the story of the Nativity, beginning with the visit of the angel Gabriel through the ministry and death of Jesus.It is – apologies here for my lack of objectivity – a stunning thing to watch.
A Big Old Interview with Author James D. Witmer
S. D. Smith interviews our own James Witmer—managing editor of Story Warren and Author of A Year in the Big Old Garden.I love being an editor! It is an honor to be asked into the creation of something new, and a pleasure to be able to help in small ways to make that new thing good. I always feel like I’m getting away with something; sneaking into the show early, as it were.
Nothing about editing, however, prepares one for the stomach-sinking, standing-on-the-edge-of-a-high-dive feeling of beginning your own story.
Something to Do with Your Kids
Need some outdoor fun for a hot day? Try this water wall made from recycled materials.
And Something to Watch
Did you know there is an ancient Swedish tradition of a herding call, “kulning” to call back the herds at the end of the day? It’s lovely. If I were a cow, I’d come home just because this lady was singing to me.
Thank you for reading. We’re on your side.
- The Warren & The World Vol 11, Issue 17 - May 27, 2023
- The Warren & The World Vol 11, Issue 16 - May 20, 2023
- The Warren & The World Vol 11, Issue 15 - May 13, 2023
Leave a Reply