The Warren & the World is Story Warren’s weekly newsletter, providing a round-up of our favorite things from around the web as well as a review of what was on our site over the past week. We’re glad you’re here!
Around the Web
The lesson of burnt cookies
Rachel Marie Martin has a piece on what we learn by failing.
- I learned the perfect time to make cookies after I burnt cookies.
I learned how to change a diaper with just two wipes after I forgot to purchase wipes.
I learned to put ballet shoes in a bag by the door after we missed class because we couldn’t find the shoes.
I learned the short way to school after I was late going the long way.
12 Things to Pray for the Teens You Know
- Being a teenager is hard. Being a Christian teenager is harder.
We are walking through turbulent years, carrying pressing burdens, feelings, temptations, desires and fears. As teenagers, we wrestle with living through growing pains—as Christ-followers, with living out our faith.
We need your help.
Stock Up on Coloring, Puzzle, and Activity Books for Kids
- With summer’s right around the corner, it’s a good time to stock up on coloring, puzzle, and activity books for your kids. These are great for lazy days at home or on the go travel days.
See what you think about these cool, newly published options for both boys and girls, ages 5 to teen.
Rachel S. Donahue has a piece at The Donahue Daily on the value of margin in family life.
- Last night was rough.
We got in bed late, and I had to get up and nurse a sick baby so many times I lost count. We were already exhausted after a 12-hour trip yesterday driving our four small kids from Nashville to Charlotte—with delays for van trouble, road construction, and a couple wrecks.
It’s a good thing we left early, or we wouldn’t have made it to our own beds.
Around the Warren
N. D. Wilson on Magic, the Bible, and Real Life
We’ve got an interview N.D. Wilson recently did in which he explores many of our favorite ideas.
- The inimitable ND Wilson has just released another novel, Outlaws of Time #2: The Song of Glory and Ghost, and we’ll have a review for you on Friday!
In the meantime, this seems like a good place to share an interview Wilson did with the good folks over at Apologia Radio. Watch for some thought-provoking ideas about the magic of the Bible, and its reflections in the world around us – delivered in Wilson’s high-energy, gunslinger style.
Outlaws of Time: N. D. Wilson, Master of American Magic
As we prepare ourselves for Friday’s review of the second book in the series, we’ve got a look back to S.D. Smith’s review of Outlaws of Time, Book #1.And as promised, we’ve got a review of N.D. Wilson’s new book.
- N. D. Wilson is the Master of American Magic. There is no other middle-grade author who writes such powerful fantasy with an American accent. And I don’t mean Wilson’s own accent, though he does go in for hard Rs. I mean the stories themselves. They are the kinds of tales you can’t imagine being narrated by one of our cousins from across the pond. How many fantasy stories do you know like that? His stories are wide open and wild, full of fastballs and six-shooters. The settings are Kansas, Wisconsin, Arizona, and (best of all) West Virginia.
Outlaws of Time: The Song of Glory and Ghost
And as promised, we’ve got a review of N.D. Wilson’s new book.
- “Feed your children stories that will keep their eyes wide with wonder when they look out their front windows or wander their yards,” wrote N.D. Wilson in a 2011 essay on storytelling. “Feed them stories of joy and hardship and courage and tragedy and triumph. Give them heroes, real and imagined. Give them a taste for goodness, for truth, for beauty.”
Something to Do with Your Kids
May first is traditionally a celebration of the arrival of spring in the Northern Hemisphere. Here are some great May Day activities to explore the holiday with your family.
And Something to Watch
In this week’s video, an avian hitchhiker tries to go to work with a Chicago commuter and gets a bit of a tour along the way.
Thank you for reading. We’re on your side.
- The Warren & The World Vol 11, Issue 9 - March 18, 2023
- The Warren & The World Vol 11, Issue 8 - March 11, 2023
- The Warren & The World Vol 11, Issue 7 - March 4, 2023
Leave a Reply