The Warren & the World is Story Warren’s weekly newsletter, providing a round-up of our favorite things from around the web as well as a review of what was on our site over the past week. We’re glad you’re here!
Happy Thanksgiving, Advent, Christmas…
We’re headed into Advent this weekend, and I’ll be shuttering The Warren & the World until the new year. We will have a series of Advent readings and artwork posting up at Story Warren throughout the coming weeks, and we invite you to visit daily and read them. I hope you’ve enjoyed Thanksgiving with friends and family and that you are looking forward to celebrating Christ’s birth with the anticipation of Advent. Here’s a somewhat truncated edition of The Warren & the World to round out our year.
If you’re looking for gifts for the children you love, consider The Green Ember Series, now on sale at our store.
And for an older crowd, consider Helena Sorensen’s compelling Shiloh Trilogy.
Christmas Books for 2016
If you’re looking for some good Christmas books to read as a family, here’s a list of new publications from Melissa Taylor at Imagination Soup to start with.
- There are so many lovely new children’s Christmas books for 2016, I think you’ll find engaging and meaningful choices to read with your kids, including one very entertaining chapter book!
Around the Warren
An Advent Primer
S.D. Smith introduces Advent for those who are less familiar.
- This year (2016), Advent starts on Sunday, November 27!
Advent is the Winter Lent. It’s a time of preparation for the coming (advent) of Christ which we will celebrate at the feast of Christmas (all 12 days, if you’re up for it!). In Advent, we enter into the longing of all of history for the first coming of Christ to redeem the world, and actively anticipate with expectation Christ’s coming again. It’s a wonderful time to get focused again on what we are all about: kindling imagination for kingdom anticipation.
An Introduction to The Family Advent Art and Reading Guide
James Witmer introduces us to the Story Warren Advent Art and Reading Guide.
- I love celebrating Christmas, and I love almost every Christmas tradition I’ve ever met. But once I had children of my own, I realized the idea of Santa Claus was eclipsing the joyous miracle of Jesus’ arrival among us. This made me feel decidedly Scrooge-like.
Now, strange as it may seem, scowling and fuming about “too much Santa Claus” did little to restore the joy of Christmas to our home. So after some thoughtful discussion with my wife, I figured out what was giving Santa the edge in our children’s minds: anticipation.
And Something to Watch
The Bible Project has a video exploring the idea of the Messiah throughout Scripture. Perhaps you can watch it this Advent season as you await the celebration of Messiah’s coming.
Thank you for reading. We’re on your side.
The Warren & The World Vol 11, Issue 10 - March 25, 2023
- The Warren & The World Vol 11, Issue 9 - March 18, 2023
- The Warren & The World Vol 11, Issue 8 - March 11, 2023
Leave a Reply